Sunday, January 18, 2009

When in Rome...

So I’ve been in super tourist mode, I suppose. I want to jam in every major location RIGHT NOW.. but then I realize I have like 5 months, so I’m taking it slow.

However, that doesn’t stop be from randomly stumbling upon these sites as I walk around Rome. Speaking of walking… I’ve never done so much walking in my life. You walk EVERYWHERE here… even if it’s miles away. It’s easy to get lost here. Streets zig zag all over. I’ve been noticing landmarks to help me find my way. For example, if I see the river, I know how to get home. If I can see the Vatican, I’m 20 minutes from home, etc.

Yesterday I went to the colosseum and the roman forum. We had a professor with us, explaining everything. It was super cool to stand 2 feet away from the very place Ceasar was cremated. I walked the streets of ancient roman politics, it was pretty neat.



The colosseum was of course, amazing. It was better than any picture or video I’ve ever seen of it. I learned about its 15 different entrances, so you never had to brush shoulders with the lower class, and how it was designed to fill up and empty in 5 minutes.



Today I decided to have a rest day. I slept pretty late then wandered around my neighborhood. Down the street we have a church that is like 3,000 years old. Today it was randomly open so we went inside. It was AMAZING. So much art, you couldn’t even see every piece or detail in there, and it wasn’t even that big. I can imagine what it’s gonna be like when I go to the Vatican. I’ll have to spend hours there.



Later we went on a big walk, and wandered past the pantheon


And the trevi fountain.


I definitely want to go back when its light outside, but it was nice to reassure myself that they were so close.

I start Italian class tomorrow, it should be nice to begin to learn how to speak the language!

CIAO!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - it's amazing. Can't wait for you to take me and Daddy and some of these adventures.
    Mommy loves you and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey: The places you have been too are fabulous. Poppy and I went there many many many years ago and loved it.......The food is great, the things to see are marvelous and you will come home a lover of Rome and Italy for sure......Love your blogs..........Hugs and kisses. Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's supposed to be an amazing gelateria near the Pantheon. If you are ever feeling adventurous you should ask around that neighborhood for it.

    ReplyDelete